Friday, October 31, 2014

Re: Dinosaur Bone Fragments. ThinkGeek Responds.



Brief Summary:
Previously I shared the letter I sent to ThinkGeek about the recent addition of fossils to their merchandise. After one day I received a very cordial and thoughtful response from a ThinkGeek representative which I have copied below. Please note that the name and information which may identify this person have been removed out of courtesy for their privacy.

---
Hi Lee.

I wanted to reach out to you to hank you for your incredibly detailed and thought-provoking email to us regarding the sale of fossils.  When I studied Biology at [redacted] University, I had the privilege of working as a tutor for Dr. [redacted]'s class.  It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and provided me with an intense love of Paleontology.  Plus, because of him I am T-Rex obsessed and successfully passing on that love to my 3 little boys!

From what I know now, the company we get them from states the Hadrosaurid bones have been verified as ethically & legally sourced from private land in Montana.  He says the specimens were found out of situ and have been weathered so much that little scientific data could be gathered from them. 

I want you to know that I am taking your email very seriously.  I am personally going to follow up with this.  Our CEO's husband works in Operations at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC.  They are redoing to dinosaur exhibit, so it is swarming with Paleontologists right now.  We are going to send a sample with him to take to work and get an opinion.  As soon as we complete our review, I'll email you to let you know the outcome.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback.  I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to help to reach out to us about this, and I can assure you that we are going to do the right thing, once we consult the experts.

P.S. I sent you a little token of my appreciation that should arrive at your office soon.

[redacted}
Customer Service Manager


---

This email is very promising. It is nice to know that a thoughtful conversation can be shared by strangers over something as conflict-laden as the commercialization of paleontological resources. I was concerned that my point of addressing this as an ethical instead of a legal issue was not articulated well enough, so I spent some time that evening drafting a reply and I will share that letter in the next day or so. In the meantime, Happy Halloween!

-Lee 

Follow me on Twitter to keep tabs on the wild and crazy world of paleontology and geoscience with a Southern California twist!
@paleeoguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hollywood Paleontologist

My photo
I am a paleontologist who works in Los Angeles, California, and my job is great! Somehow, I manage to be a gainfully employed paleontologist without working for a university or a natural history museum (though I do work with them). I work as a scientific consultant, or Mitigation Paleontologist. My day to day work involves finding, excavating and collecting fossils found on construction projects in Los Angeles and many other places in California. I prepare these 'salvaged' fossils in a lab, I research and study them, report the finds to the appropriate agencies, and then deliver them to natural history museums for permanent safe-keeping. In other words, I bridge the gap between the developers whose bulldozers expose fossils 20 feet under the street of your city, the museums that permanently curate those fossils, and the regulatory agencies enforcing the laws that protect our shared natural resources. It's an exciting and engaging field of work and I get the chance to see amazing places and find wonderful things. Follow me on Twitter! I'm nice, honest! @paleeoguy